In light of recent publications in the press about how unsafe social media platforms can be for our children, I would strongly encourage you, as parents to be fully aware of how you can protect your children if they are allowed to access any online content. The eSafety Commissioner’s website is a resource that has been recommended for you to visit. https://www.esafety.gov.au/parents. As part of their Protective Behaviours program, teachers cover this subject from time to time during the school year. If you are concerned about your child’s mental health as a consequence of something they’ve seen whilst on an online platform, there are many organisations you can turn to for support;
- Kids Helpline. 1800 55 1800. Phone support is there all day, every day. Online support is open from 8am-midnight every day (AEST).
- Suicide Callback Service. 1300 659 467. Phone support all day, every day, and follow-up calls.
- eHeadspace. 1800 650 890. Open 9am-1am daily (AEST).
- Lifeline. 13 11 14. Phone support all day, every day. Online support 7pm-4am daily (AEST).
- Beyondblue. 1300 22 4636. Phone support all day, every day. Online support 3pm-midnight every day.